From
Historical Performance to Marginal Value, Incremental Growth and Better Paid
Media Budget Allocation
Performance
marketing gives us an enormous amount of data for deciding where to invest.
ROAS, CPA,
conversion rate, revenue, new customers and contribution margin can all help us
understand how campaigns are performing. When one channel consistently produces
stronger numbers than another, increasing its budget can appear to be the
obvious decision.
But there is an
important difference between two questions:
How has this
channel performed?
and
What is
likely to happen if I give this channel more money?
Those questions
sound similar. They are not.
A channel can
have the strongest ROAS in the media plan while the additional budget being
added to it produces progressively weaker returns. A campaign can also report
substantial attributed revenue even though some of those customers would have
purchased without seeing the advertising.
This is where marginal
returns and incrementality become useful.
I use them to
answer different parts of the same investment problem.
Marginal
returns help me understand what additional spend produces.
Incrementality
helps me understand how much additional business advertising actually creates.
Put the two
together, and the budget conversation becomes much more useful:
Where is the
next €1 most likely to create additional business value?
What Are
Marginal Returns in Paid Media?
Start with a
simple eCommerce campaign.
Suppose I
spend:
€100,000
and generate:
€500,000 in
attributed revenue
The campaign
has produced a 5x ROAS.
Now I increase
the budget by €20,000.
Total spend
becomes:
€120,000
and total
attributed revenue increases to:
€540,000
The overall
campaign still looks healthy:
€540,000 ÷
€120,000 = 4.5x ROAS
But I am
interested in something else.
What did the additional
€20,000 produce?
Revenue
increased from €500,000 to €540,000.
So:
Additional
Spend: €20,000
Additional
Revenue: €40,000
Marginal
ROAS: 2x
That is very
different from looking at the 4.5x blended ROAS.
|
Metric |
Before Increase |
After Increase |
Additional Investment |
|
Spend |
€100K |
€120K |
€20K |
|
Revenue |
€500K |
€540K |
€40K |
|
ROAS |
5.0x |
4.5x |
2.0x marginal |
The original
€100,000 performed very well.
The next
€20,000 still generated revenue, but at a considerably lower rate.
That is the
basic idea behind marginal returns.
When I am
deciding where to place new budget, the historical average remains
useful, but I also want to understand what happened to the latest increments of
investment.
Why Do
Marginal Returns Change as Spend Increases?
Paid media
rarely scales in a perfectly straight line.
If a campaign
generates €500,000 from €100,000, I cannot automatically assume that €200,000
will generate €1 million.
There are
several practical reasons.
In paid search,
the first portion of budget might capture highly relevant queries with strong
commercial intent. Additional budget may require expanding into broader queries
or increasingly competitive auctions.
In paid social,
the initial investment might reach the strongest audience segments efficiently.
As spend grows, reach expands, frequency changes and the campaign may need to
find conversions among increasingly broader audiences.
In programmatic
advertising, additional investment can mean expanding inventory, audiences,
geographies, formats or frequency.
The mechanics
differ by channel, but the underlying investment problem is similar.
Imagine the
following simplified example:
|
Spend |
Revenue |
Blended ROAS |
|
€50K |
€350K |
7.0x |
|
€100K |
€550K |
5.5x |
|
€150K |
€645K |
4.3x |
|
€200K |
€720K |
3.6x |
The channel is
still generating substantial revenue at €200,000.
But look at
each additional €50,000.
€0 → €50K: +€350K revenue
€50K →
€100K: +€200K
€100K →
€150K: +€95K
€150K →
€200K: +€75K
The average
ROAS tells me how the total investment performed.
The marginal
view shows me how the economics changed as I kept adding money.
That difference
becomes extremely important when I have another €50,000 available and several
channels competing for it.
What Is
Incrementality?
Marginal
returns deal with additional investment.
Incrementality
deals with a different question:
What would
have happened without the advertising?
Imagine an
eCommerce campaign reports:
1,000
purchases
It is tempting
to interpret those 1,000 purchases as the result of advertising.
But customers
do not disappear when advertising disappears.
Some may
already know the brand.
Some may have
visited the website organically.
Some may
regularly purchase from the business.
Some may have
searched specifically for the brand.
Some may have
been influenced by another channel.
Suppose a
properly designed experiment compares an exposed group with an appropriate
control group and estimates that, without the advertising, approximately 700
purchases would still have occurred.
Observed
purchases:
1,000
Estimated
purchases without advertising:
700
Estimated
incremental purchases:
300
Those 300
purchases represent the estimated additional outcome caused by the advertising.
That is
incrementality in practical terms.
Attributed
Performance and Incremental Performance Can Tell Different Stories
Consider a
customer who already buys the same skincare product every six weeks.
They see a
retargeting ad two days before their usual purchase, click it and buy.
Depending on
the attribution methodology, the advertising platform may receive credit for
the transaction.
That
attribution can be perfectly valid according to the reporting rules.
But the
business question is different:
Would that
customer have purchased anyway?
Now consider
another person who has never purchased from the brand.
They see an ad,
discover the product, compare it with alternatives and eventually become a
customer.
The reported
transaction may look similar inside a dashboard.
Its incremental
value could be very different.
This is why I
would not treat:
Attributed
Revenue
and
Incremental
Revenue
as
interchangeable concepts.
Suppose a
campaign reports:
€500,000
attributed revenue
An experiment
estimates that the campaign generated:
€200,000
incremental revenue
The €500,000
still tells me something useful about conversions associated with the campaign.
The €200,000
answers a different question about the additional revenue the advertising
appears to have created.
For investment
decisions, I want to understand both.
Marginal
Returns and Incrementality Answer Different Questions
These concepts
are sometimes discussed together, but I find it useful to keep their jobs
separate.
|
Concept |
Question |
|
Blended Performance |
How has the total investment
performed? |
|
Marginal Return |
What did the additional investment
produce? |
|
Incrementality |
What happened because of the
advertising? |
|
Marginal Incremental Value |
What additional business value is the
next unit of investment creating? |
This is where
the budget conversation becomes more interesting.
Suppose a
channel has historically produced excellent performance.
That does not
tell me how efficiently it can absorb another €100,000.
And if it can
absorb that money while producing more attributed conversions, I still want to
understand how much of that additional performance represents genuinely
incremental business.
The two
concepts therefore meet at the point where I make the investment decision.
Why the
Best-Performing Channel May Not Deserve the Next €1
Imagine a
hypothetical eCommerce advertiser running three channels.
|
Channel |
Current Monthly Spend |
Blended ROAS |
Marginal ROAS |
|
Google Ads |
€200K |
6.5x |
2.4x |
|
Meta |
€150K |
4.8x |
3.7x |
|
Programmatic Advertising |
€75K |
3.5x |
3.1x |
If I look only
at blended ROAS, Google Ads appears comfortably ahead.
If management
gives me another €50,000, it might therefore seem logical to put the money into
Google Ads.
But the
marginal numbers tell me something important.
At its current
level of investment, additional Google Ads spend is producing 2.4x.
Additional Meta
spend is producing 3.7x.
Additional
programmatic advertising spend is producing 3.1x.
That does not
mean I should automatically move the next €50,000 to Meta.
I still need to
understand incrementality, margins, customer quality, campaign objectives,
channel interactions and how much additional spend each channel can absorb.
But I now have
a much better question to investigate.
Google Ads can
simultaneously be:
the
strongest historical performer
and
a weaker
destination for the next budget increment.
There is no
contradiction between those two statements.
They measure
different things.
Now Add
Incrementality
Suppose we run
appropriate incrementality studies and discover another layer.
The advertiser
has strong existing brand demand.
A meaningful
share of conversions reported through search comes from customers actively
looking for the brand.
Meta is
reaching a broader mix of existing and prospective customers.
Programmatic
advertising is contributing earlier in the journey and has a different
attribution profile.
Now the simple
ROAS ranking becomes even less useful for incremental budget allocation.
I would want to
build a view closer to this:
|
Channel |
Blended Performance |
Marginal Performance |
Incrementality Evidence |
Scaling Headroom |
|
Google Ads |
Strong |
Lower at current spend |
Mixed by campaign type |
Moderate |
|
Meta |
Strong |
Stronger on recent increments |
Positive test evidence |
Higher |
|
Programmatic Advertising |
Moderate |
Competitive |
Requires appropriate testing |
Moderate |
These are
hypothetical values, but they illustrate the decision process.
I am no longer
asking which platform dashboard shows the biggest number.
I am asking:
What is each
channel contributing at its current level of investment, and what is likely to
happen if I add more money?
The Response
Curve: What Scaling Actually Looks Like
A useful way to
visualize marginal returns is through a response curve.
Put media spend
on the horizontal axis and business outcomes on the vertical axis.
At lower levels
of investment, additional spend may produce substantial gains.
As investment
increases, the curve can begin to flatten.
Conceptually:
Spend ↑
Business
Outcome ↑
but eventually:
Additional
Business Outcome per Additional € ↓
This matters
because media planning sometimes assumes scaling is approximately linear.
A campaign
currently producing 5x ROAS receives another €100,000, and the forecast assumes
roughly another €500,000 in revenue.
That may
happen.
But it should
not be assumed simply because the historical average was 5x.
The more useful
forecasting question is:
Where are we
currently sitting on the response curve?
A channel with
lower historical ROAS but substantial scaling headroom may produce more value
from additional investment than a historically stronger channel already
operating much further along its curve.
How Can We
Measure Incrementality?
Incrementality
needs some form of counterfactual: an estimate of what would have happened
without the advertising intervention.
The appropriate
method depends on the channel, business, geography, available data and scale.
Randomized
Holdouts
A portion of an
eligible population is withheld from advertising and compared with the exposed
population.
If the exposed
group converts at a meaningfully higher rate, the difference can help estimate
incremental lift.
For example:
Control
group: 10,000 purchases
Exposed
group, adjusted to comparable population: 11,500 purchases
Estimated lift:
+15%
The
experimental design, statistical confidence and population comparability
matter, but the business idea is straightforward.
Conversion
Lift Experiments
Some
advertising environments support controlled experiments designed specifically
to estimate the conversions caused by advertising.
Rather than
relying only on attributed conversions, I can examine the difference between
exposed and control populations.
Geo
Experiments
Different
geographic areas can be used as test and control markets.
Imagine
increasing Meta investment by 50% across a carefully selected group of German
regions while maintaining comparable control regions.
If sales
develop differently between test and control after accounting for baseline
differences, that can provide evidence of incremental impact.
Matched
Markets
Markets with
similar historical behaviour can be paired, with advertising changed in one
group and maintained differently in another.
This can be
useful when individual-level randomization is unavailable or unsuitable.
Econometric
and Model-Based Approaches
For businesses
with substantial historical data across channels, markets and time periods,
modelling can help estimate the relationship between advertising investment and
business outcomes.
These
approaches can be particularly useful for understanding broader media
portfolios, although the quality of the result depends heavily on the quality
of the data and methodology.
There is no
single method I would force onto every campaign.
The measurement
design should match the business question.
Marginal
Incremental Economics
This is where
the two ideas become especially useful together.
Imagine I add
€50,000 to a channel.
The platform
reports:
€150,000
additional attributed revenue
Marginal ROAS:
3x
Useful.
Now suppose an
incrementality study suggests that approximately €90,000 of the additional
revenue was actually incremental.
The picture
becomes:
€50K
Additional Spend
→ €150K
Additional Attributed Revenue
→ €90K
Estimated Incremental Revenue
Then I bring in
the business economics.
Suppose gross
margin on those sales is 50%.
€90K
incremental revenue
→ €45K
incremental gross margin
At that point,
the investment decision looks very different from simply celebrating a 3x
marginal attributed ROAS.
Depending on
the business, I may also need to consider:
New Customer
Rate | Average Order Value | Contribution Margin | Repeat Purchase | Customer
Lifetime Value | Returns | Discounts | Variable Costs
The analysis
moves progressively closer to what the business actually earns.
Additional
Spend → Marginal Outcome → Incremental Outcome → Revenue → Margin → Business
Value
That is the
chain I ultimately care about.
A
Hypothetical German eCommerce Media Plan
Consider a
German eCommerce retailer investing €500,000 per month across paid
media.
Its current
allocation is:
|
Channel |
Monthly Spend |
|
Google Ads |
€220K |
|
Meta |
€160K |
|
Programmatic Advertising |
€70K |
|
CTV |
€50K |
|
Total |
€500K |
The business
approves another €100,000 per month for growth.
The easiest
approach would be to rank the channels by historical ROAS and give most of the
additional budget to the strongest performer.
I would want to
go further.
Google Ads
Historical
performance is excellent.
But I would
separate brand, non-brand, Shopping and other campaign types and examine how
marginal performance changes as investment increases.
If brand demand
is already heavily captured, additional spend there may have limited headroom.
Non-brand and
Shopping may show a different response curve.
The channel
should not be treated as one number.
Meta
Suppose recent
budget increases have maintained relatively strong marginal acquisition
economics.
Incrementality
testing also indicates that the platform is generating additional purchases
rather than simply receiving attribution for existing demand.
That gives me
evidence to test further scaling.
Programmatic
Advertising
Suppose
reported ROAS is lower because the channel operates across a broader part of
the customer journey.
I would examine
incremental reach, audience strategy, downstream customer behaviour and
appropriate experimental evidence before deciding whether the lower attributed
ROAS means the channel deserves less investment.
CTV
Direct platform
attribution may provide an incomplete picture of its role.
A geo
experiment or another suitable measurement approach could help evaluate whether
additional CTV investment changes total business outcomes within exposed
markets.
Now the
additional €100,000 becomes a portfolio allocation problem.
I might test
portions of the incremental budget across the channels with the strongest
combination of:
Marginal
Return
Incrementality
Evidence
Customer
Economics
Scaling
Headroom
and then
observe how the response curves change.
The allocation
is not predetermined by whichever platform currently reports the highest ROAS.
From Channel
Performance to Portfolio Performance
Customers do
not organize their behaviour according to our advertising platforms.
Someone might:
See a CTV ad
→ encounter a
Meta campaign
→ visit the
website directly
→ leave
→ conduct a
Google search three days later
→ click a
Shopping ad
→ purchase
Several
platforms may report or influence parts of that journey.
If I optimize
every channel independently around the conversions it claims, I can end up with
several platforms competing for credit around the same underlying demand.
This is why
marginal returns and incrementality become particularly useful at the portfolio
level.
The objective
is not to determine which channel can claim the largest share of the customer's
journey.
I want to
understand how changing investment across the portfolio changes the business
outcome.
That changes
the conversation from:
“Which
channel has the highest ROAS?”
to:
“What
happens to total business performance when I increase, decrease or redistribute
media investment?”
My Next €1
Investment Framework
When additional
budget becomes available, this is the sequence I would work through:
Current
Investment
↓
Blended
Performance
↓
Marginal
Return
↓
Incremental
Contribution
↓
Revenue
& Margin
↓
Scaling
Headroom
↓
Cross-Channel
Opportunity
↓
Next €1
Each layer
answers a different question.
Historical
performance tells me where I have been.
Marginal
performance tells me what happened as investment changed.
Incrementality
helps estimate what advertising actually added.
Business
economics tells me whether that additional outcome created enough commercial
value.
Scaling
headroom tells me whether the opportunity can absorb more investment.
Cross-channel
analysis tells me whether another part of the portfolio offers a stronger
opportunity.
Only then do I
reach the next budget decision.
What I Would
Monitor After Moving the Budget
Reallocation is
not the end of the process.
It creates new
information.
If I increase a
channel from €100,000 to €130,000, I want to understand how that additional
€30,000 behaved.
If performance
remains strong, there may be more headroom.
If marginal
returns deteriorate quickly, another channel may become more attractive.
I would
therefore continue monitoring a combination of:
Marginal
ROAS | Incremental Revenue | Incremental CAC | New Customer Acquisition |
Contribution Margin | Reach | Frequency | Audience Saturation | Response Curve
| Customer Value
The exact
metrics will depend on the business.
The important
point is that the next allocation decision should use what I learned from the
previous one.
Budget
allocation becomes iterative:
Invest →
Measure → Test → Learn → Reallocate → Measure Again
Closing
Thoughts
The channel
with the highest ROAS can be an excellent channel.
It can also be
approaching the point where additional investment produces much weaker returns.
A channel with
lower historical performance may still have substantial headroom and generate
stronger returns from the next budget increment.
And attributed
performance alone cannot tell me how much of the observed business would have
happened without advertising.
This is why I
find marginal returns and incrementality so useful together.
Marginal
returns tell me what happened when I added more money.
Incrementality
helps me understand what additional business the advertising created.
Business
economics tells me whether that additional value was worth buying.
Once I have
those pieces, the budget conversation becomes much more useful.
The question is
no longer only:
Which
channel performed best?
The question I
want to answer is:
Where is the
next €1 most likely to create incremental business value?

No comments:
Post a Comment