A German eCommerce Business Ready for Its Next Stage of
European Growth
During the COVID period, while living in Munich and working
independently as a digital marketing consultant, I worked with a growing German
eCommerce client that had built a strong position in its home market.
Germany was the core business. Paid media was performing
well, customer acquisition was established, and we had enough history to
understand how customers responded across channels, products, web and app.
The business wasn't starting from zero elsewhere in Europe
either.
There were already customers, traffic, transactions and
early demand signals coming from markets including the Netherlands, France
and Austria.
But there was an important difference.
These markets had presence, not scale.
They weren't yet meaningful growth markets for the business,
and media investment outside Germany had not reached the level or maturity of
the home market.
That created a much more interesting expansion question:
Which of these existing European markets had enough
potential to justify serious investment and become the client's next meaningful
growth market?
This wasn't a multinational with unlimited budgets, local
teams in every country and the ability to invest aggressively everywhere until
something worked.
It was a growing eCommerce business.
Expansion therefore had to be commercially disciplined.
My role as an independent consultant was to work out where
the opportunity existed, how paid media could validate it, how much investment
each market could absorb and how we could progressively turn early demand into
sustainable growth.
What started as a market-expansion question developed into a
six-month engagement covering the complete journey from analysis to execution
and scale.
The Engagement at a Glance
→ Client: Growing German eCommerce business
→ Engagement: Independent digital marketing
consulting
→ Core market: Germany
→ Expansion markets: Netherlands, France, Austria and
other European opportunities
→ Starting position: Existing customers and demand
outside Germany, but limited market penetration and relatively small commercial
contribution
→ Objective: Turn selected European markets into
meaningful growth contributors
→ Duration: Approximately 6 months
→ Media investment: Multi-million-euro paid-media
scale across the business and expansion activity
→ Scope: Market assessment, media strategy, media
planning, media buying, tracking, attribution, measurement, optimization and
scaling
→ Customer ecosystem: Web + App
The objective wasn't simply to increase international
campaign spend.
It was to determine which existing European opportunities
could support meaningful scale and then build the media approach required to
get them there.
I Used Germany as the Benchmark, Not the Blueprint
Germany gave me something extremely valuable before I
started increasing investment elsewhere:
a mature reference point.
I already had visibility into how the business behaved when
paid media operated at meaningful scale.
I could understand:
→ Customer acquisition patterns
→ Search and Shopping behaviour
→ Paid Social response
→ Product and category demand
→ Audience performance
→ Creative response
→ Conversion behaviour
→ Web and app journeys
→ Revenue generation
→ How acquisition economics changed as investment increased
Germany therefore gave me a benchmark for what an
established market looked like for this particular business.
But I deliberately didn't treat it as the European expansion
template.
Austria might share a language with Germany, but it had a
different market size and growth ceiling.
The Netherlands had different customer behaviour,
competition and media economics.
France represented a considerably larger potential
opportunity, but required deeper localization and a different approach to
building demand.
Germany showed me what success could look like. It didn't
tell me how to create it everywhere else.
I Started With the Demand That Already Existed
Because the client already had some activity outside
Germany, I didn't have to make the expansion decision entirely from market
reports or forecasts.
I had something much more useful:
actual customer behaviour.
I started looking at what the existing data was already
telling me market by market.
That included:
→ Existing orders and revenue
→ Website traffic
→ App activity where relevant
→ Conversion behaviour
→ Search and category demand
→ Product-level interest
→ Existing paid-media performance
→ Customer acquisition patterns
→ Geographic demand
→ Organic and direct demand
→ Existing customer behaviour
Then I combined those signals with the wider market picture:
→ Addressable audience
→ Competitive intensity
→ Media costs
→ Market maturity
→ Localization requirements
→ Potential commercial scale
→ Remaining growth headroom
This immediately made the decision more nuanced than:
“Which country currently has the highest ROAS?”
A smaller market could look extremely efficient while having
a relatively limited ceiling.
A larger market could initially be more expensive but offer
substantially more room to grow.
And an existing trickle of customers from a market could be
particularly interesting if the business was generating that demand without
yet putting serious media investment behind it.
Before I Compared Performance, I Made Sure I Could Trust
the Measurement
If I was going to use paid-media and customer data to
influence where a multi-million-euro media budget should move next, I needed
confidence in what the numbers represented.
So I reviewed the measurement foundation.
Tracking
I looked at whether customer actions and commercial outcomes
were being captured consistently across markets.
→ Conversion tracking
→ Revenue tracking
→ Web measurement
→ App measurement
→ Conversion definitions
→ Market-level reporting consistency
Attribution
Then I looked at how different channels were receiving
credit.
→ Platform-reported conversions
→ Analytics reporting
→ Cross-channel journeys
→ Cross-device behaviour
→ Web-to-app journeys
→ Attribution windows
→ Potential channel overlap
Measurement
Finally, I focused on the question that mattered
commercially:
Was additional media investment actually producing
additional business growth?
I didn't need attribution to become theoretically perfect.
I needed enough measurement confidence to avoid mistaking a
reporting difference for a market opportunity.
I Built a Market-by-Market Opportunity View
Once the measurement baseline was reliable enough for
decision-making, I evaluated the markets individually.
For the Netherlands, France, Austria and the other
opportunities under consideration, I looked at the combination of:
→ Existing customer demand
→ Current paid-media performance
→ Search/category opportunity
→ Audience potential
→ Product-market response
→ Competitive intensity
→ Acquisition economics
→ Conversion behaviour
→ Existing market penetration
→ Potential scale
→ Remaining headroom
This was where the distinction between performance and
opportunity became important.
Germany could still have the strongest historical numbers.
That didn't automatically mean Germany had the greatest
remaining opportunity for the next level of investment.
Likewise, a smaller European market didn't need to
outperform Germany today to become an attractive place to scale tomorrow.
I Planned Media Differently for Each Market
Once I had a clearer view of the opportunity, I translated
it into market-specific media plans.
I didn't copy the German account structure and change the
language.
I looked at the role paid media needed to perform in each
market.
Media Planning
I worked through:
→ Market-level investment
→ Channel allocation
→ Demand capture versus demand creation
→ Funnel role
→ Audience strategy
→ Product/category priorities
→ Prospecting versus remarketing
→ Web versus app acquisition where relevant
→ Test budgets
→ Budget phasing
→ Scaling thresholds
The resulting media mix could differ considerably.
A market with meaningful existing search demand could
justify stronger Search and Shopping coverage.
Another market might need more prospecting through Paid
Social before demand capture could reach meaningful scale.
A larger but less-developed market might need broader demand
creation.
And an adjacent market with strong existing signals might
justify faster progression from testing into acquisition.
Then I Took the Plan Into Media Buying
The engagement wasn't limited to recommending what the
client should do.
I was involved in turning those decisions into actual market
activity.
Depending on the market and objective, the activation
covered areas such as:
→ Paid Search
→ Shopping
→ Paid Social
→ Display
→ Programmatic
→ Online Video
→ Retargeting
→ App acquisition
→ App re-engagement
I worked across:
→ Campaign architecture
→ Bidding
→ Budget pacing
→ Audience activation
→ Geographic targeting
→ Product feeds
→ Product/category prioritisation
→ Prospecting
→ Remarketing
→ Creative requirements
→ Localization
The media buying itself became part of the expansion
analysis.
Because once real investment started flowing into a market,
I could stop asking what customers might do.
I could measure what they actually did.
Localization Was Part of Performance
The German proposition gave me a starting point.
It didn't give me permission to assume that the same
message, product emphasis or creative approach would work everywhere.
I looked at:
→ Local messaging
→ Creative response
→ Product propositions
→ Promotional behaviour
→ Product/category demand
→ Landing-page alignment
→ Feed requirements
→ Local customer expectations
What worked in Germany became a hypothesis.
Customer response in each market determined whether that
hypothesis survived.
That mattered because weak performance in a new market
doesn't automatically mean weak demand.
Sometimes the media isn't the problem.
Sometimes the proposition, localization, landing experience
or product emphasis simply isn't right yet.
I Used Controlled Media Investment to Test the Expansion
Opportunity
The client couldn't put substantial budgets behind every
European market simultaneously and wait to see what happened.
So I built the expansion around progressive investment.
Plan
↓
Buy
↓
Measure
↓
Learn
↓
Reallocate
↓
Scale
The first objective wasn't maximum revenue.
It was decision-quality evidence.
I wanted enough investment in each priority market to
understand whether the existing demand signals could translate into scalable
customer acquisition.
I monitored:
→ New-customer acquisition
→ CAC / CPA
→ ROAS
→ CVR
→ Revenue response
→ Product/category performance
→ Audience response
→ Creative response
→ Web behaviour
→ App behaviour
→ Customer-quality signals where available
But I wasn't only interested in the number each metric
produced.
I was interested in what happened to those numbers when I
increased investment.
The Question Became: What Happens to the Next Euro?
This was one of the most important parts of the engagement.
Historical averages could tell me how a market had
performed.
Expansion required me to understand marginal performance.
When I increased investment:
→ Did CAC remain commercially viable?
→ Did additional spend continue producing new customers?
→ Did revenue continue growing with investment?
→ Did CVR hold?
→ Did audience saturation begin appearing?
→ Was there still meaningful search and category demand
available?
→ Did we need to create more demand rather than simply
capture what already existed?
→ Were particular products or categories becoming local
growth engines?
This is where a market with a smaller existing contribution
could suddenly become much more interesting.
It might not have Germany's historical scale.
But if it continued responding strongly as investment
increased, it could have something extremely valuable:
more remaining growth headroom.
Germany, the Netherlands, France and Austria Began
Playing Different Roles
As the data developed, I stopped thinking about the markets
as competitors on one performance leaderboard.
They were at different stages.
Germany
Germany remained the established commercial engine and the
benchmark for mature paid-media performance.
The objective was to protect that position while continuing
to identify incremental opportunities.
Netherlands
The Netherlands provided an opportunity to understand how
far an underdeveloped but promising market could move when investment became
more deliberate.
The focus became validating scalability rather than simply
comparing its current revenue with Germany.
France
France represented a larger potential market, but one that
required its own approach to localization, proposition, audiences and demand
development.
Its absolute potential couldn't be judged from early
acquisition efficiency alone.
Austria
Austria represented a natural adjacent opportunity, but its
smaller market size meant that strong efficiency still needed to be considered
alongside its absolute growth ceiling.
The question therefore wasn't:
Which country wins?
It was:
What role should each market play in the client's next
stage of European growth?
Web and App Behaviour Changed How I Read the Media
Performance
The customer journey wasn't always:
Ad → Website → Purchase
Customers could move across several touchpoints.
Paid Social → Website → App Install → App Purchase → CRM
→ Repeat Purchase
or:
Shopping → Website → Retargeting → App → Purchase
That mattered when I was deciding where to put additional
investment.
A platform could report one version of the conversion.
Analytics could show another.
The eventual customer relationship could tell a different
story again.
So I connected paid-media performance with the broader
signals available across:
→ Web behaviour
→ App behaviour
→ Analytics
→ CRM/customer data where available
→ Product performance
→ Revenue
→ New-customer acquisition
→ Repeat behaviour
→ Customer-value signals
This helped me avoid making expansion decisions entirely
from whichever platform happened to claim the final conversion.
The Client Expanded in Stages
The initial market recommendation wasn't where the
engagement ended.
It was where the real scaling work began.
The client progressively increased its presence in the
markets where the evidence justified doing so.
Germany remained the established base
↓
Existing European demand was assessed
↓
Priority markets received controlled investment
↓
Acquisition was validated
↓
Media plans changed based on actual behaviour
↓
Budgets increased selectively
↓
Performance was measured again
↓
Investment moved toward stronger incremental
opportunities
↓
Selected markets progressed from limited presence toward
meaningful scale
Months 1–2: Proving the Opportunity
The early phase focused on validation.
I wanted to understand:
→ Which markets could generate sustainable acquisition
→ Which channels produced meaningful demand
→ Which audiences responded
→ Which products travelled well across markets
→ Where localization needed improvement
→ How web and app customers behaved
→ Whether the measurement was giving me a consistent picture
The initial market assessment gave me hypotheses.
The first weeks of media buying started challenging them.
And that was exactly what I wanted.
Months 2–3: I Started Reallocating the Investment
As the evidence developed, I changed the original
allocations.
I increased investment where customer acquisition remained
healthy.
I held or reduced investment where the data wasn't yet
strong enough.
I rebalanced:
→ Markets
→ Channels
→ Audiences
→ Products/categories
→ Prospecting and remarketing
→ Web and app activity
→ Campaign budgets
The media plan wasn't a document I created at the beginning
and followed for six months.
The buying generated new evidence, and that evidence
continuously changed the plan.
Months 3–4: Scaling Became the Test
Once a market demonstrated enough potential, I increased
investment progressively.
The operating rhythm became:
Increase → Observe → Measure → Adjust → Increase again
At this point, I wasn't trying to prove that the market
could generate conversions.
I was trying to establish how far it could scale before
the economics materially changed.
I continued watching:
→ Customer acquisition
→ CAC / CPA
→ ROAS
→ CVR
→ Revenue
→ Audience saturation
→ Product/category growth
→ New-customer contribution
→ Web/app behaviour
→ Customer-quality signals
A market working at a small test budget wasn't enough.
I wanted to understand how it behaved when it started
receiving meaningful investment.
Months 4–6: From Campaign Scaling to Market Scaling
By the later stages of the engagement, I was no longer
simply reallocating money between campaigns.
I was making investment decisions across several levels:
Market
↓
Channel
↓
Audience
↓
Product / Category
↓
Campaign
↓
Geography
With a multi-million-euro paid-media investment
across the wider activity, even relatively small percentage reallocations
represented meaningful commercial decisions.
The question increasingly became:
Where should the next portion of growth budget go?
If one market continued showing healthy incremental
economics, I could increase its share.
If another began showing signs of saturation, I could slow
the investment.
If a channel stopped contributing efficiently, I could move
budget elsewhere.
If customer behaviour suggested that a market deserved more
investment despite a slightly higher initial CAC, I could factor that into the
decision.
This was media optimization at the level of business
growth allocation, not simply campaign management.
I Could Finally Look Beyond the First Purchase
Six months also gave me something the initial market tests
couldn't:
time to understand the customers being acquired.
As customer cohorts developed, I could increasingly
evaluate:
→ New versus returning customers
→ Repeat purchase behaviour
→ Average order behaviour
→ Product/category development
→ Web versus app engagement
→ Retention signals
→ Customer quality
That sometimes changed how attractive a market looked.
A market with a higher initial acquisition cost could still
be commercially interesting if it produced stronger customers.
Likewise, cheap first purchases didn't automatically mean
high-quality growth.
The expansion strategy therefore continued evolving as
customer behaviour matured.
The Media Mix Evolved With Each Market
The media strategy used to develop a market didn't remain
static.
Early-stage markets could initially focus on:
Capture demand → Acquire customers → Learn
As confidence increased:
Expand audiences → Build demand → Increase reach → Scale
acquisition
And as the customer base developed:
Re-engage → Strengthen app and CRM relationships → Drive
repeat purchase → Increase customer value
Each market moved through those stages differently.
That was another reason I never treated European expansion
as one German media strategy translated into multiple languages.
The Results
By the end of the six-month engagement, the client had moved
beyond simply having scattered demand outside Germany.
Selected European markets had progressed from relatively
limited presence into structured, measurable and scalable growth activity.
Media Scale
→ Multi-million-euro paid-media investment managed
across the wider activity
→ Multiple European markets moved through structured
test, validation and scaling stages
→ Market-level budgets progressively reallocated
based on actual customer and commercial performance
→ Web + App incorporated into the wider acquisition
and measurement approach
Campaign Performance
→ ROAS maintained at commercially sustainable levels
while investment increased
→ CAC / CPA controlled through progressive scaling rather
than unrestricted budget increases
→ CVR improved through market-specific media, product,
creative and customer-journey optimization
→ New-customer acquisition expanded beyond the
established German market
Business Growth
→ European revenue contribution increased as selected
markets moved beyond limited presence
→ Customer acquisition diversified beyond Germany
→ Priority expansion markets developed into meaningful
commercial contributors
→ The business established a repeatable model for
evaluating and scaling further European opportunities
Six Months Later, the Business Had More Than Campaigns
Running in More Countries
That was never the real goal.
The client now had a clearer understanding of:
→ Which markets could absorb additional investment
→ Which channels played different roles by market
→ What acquisition economics remained sustainable at greater scale
→ Which products and categories drove local demand
→ Where customer quality justified further investment
→ How web and app behaviour influenced acquisition
→ Which markets still had meaningful headroom
→ Which markets required more development
→ How future growth budget could be allocated based on evidence rather than
assumptions
The engagement had started with a German eCommerce business
already seeing some demand elsewhere in Europe.
Six months later, selected markets were no longer simply international
traffic and occasional customers.
They had become part of a structured European growth
strategy.
What This Engagement Changed in the Way I Look at
European Market Expansion
This experience reinforced something that has stayed with me
throughout my work in multi-market performance marketing.
I don't treat countries as a ROAS leaderboard.
For me, the stronger view is:
Measurement Confidence
↓
Customer Demand
↓
Current Performance
↓
Media Scalability
↓
Customer Economics
↓
Remaining Growth Headroom
↓
Business Readiness
Germany gave me the benchmark.
The Netherlands, France, Austria and the other European
markets gave me the evidence.
My role over those six months was to turn that evidence into
action: assess the opportunity, plan and buy the media, measure the customer
response, change the allocation, scale what worked and continuously test
whether that growth remained commercially sustainable.
The market performing best today tells me where a business
has already built something valuable.
For market expansion, the more important question is:
Where can the next stage of investment create the
strongest sustainable growth?

No comments:
Post a Comment